Monday, August 15, 2011

Ravioli with arugula



This recipe is adopted from Giada - she made this one time on her Food Network show and it stuck with me because I've never had sauteed arugula before. I didn't even know you could saute arugula. Thought never crossed my mind.

One night while rummaging through my fridge I came across some packaged ravioli and a bag of arugula I intended on using for salad. This was the night to try out Giada's recipe. My version is not exactly the same as hers, I didn't use any pancetta (hey, you gotta work with what you have!). It turned out fabulous - reading the comments on foodnetwork.com, 90% of users substituted spinach for the arugula. Big mistake in my opinion. The arugula lends a slightly bitter, tough and spiny texture again the soft ravioli. Sauteed spinach is just as soft as the ravioli, whereas the arugula provides a nice contrast. Also, it doesn't get any easier than this folks, I mean, we're talking 20 minute meal here... (beat that Rachael Ray!) :)


Serves 2

1 package ravioli (any kind you like)
1 small onion
1 tomato (I used heirloom)
Julienned basil (~5 leaves)
4 cups arugula
Tomato sauce (your fave brand, use as much or little as you like)
Grated parmesan cheese

Cook ravioli according to directions. Add tomato sauce. 


Heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Dice the onion and tomato up and combine with olive oil. Saute for a few minutes onion is browned. 

Add caption
Add arugula and basil and continue to saute over low heat until the leaves are wilted. Salt and pepper lightly.


Spoon yourself up a serving of ravioli, place the arugula mixture on top, and sprinkle some grated parmesan over the whole she-bang. 

No comments:

Post a Comment