Saturday, July 23, 2011

Curried chicken cherry salad sandwich - that's quite a mouthful!


If you ask me, there's nothing better than rotisserie chickens. Really, what could be as delicious, easy, and versatile than a juicy rotisserie chicken? For giggles, the bf and I went to Costco to go sample tasting. Maybe this is just a weekday or summer thing, but the samples were disappointing. They had things like parmesan cheese (not even with a cracker), yogurt, nuts, etc. Eh. I like it when they have hearty samples, like ravioli, pulled pork, tuna salad, etc. But, we didn't leave empty handed (I'd like to meet someone who manages to get in and out of Costco without pulling out their wallet. I'd like to shake your hand my friend). Anyhoo, we picked up a rotisserie chicken and a big carton of fresh bing cherries.

So today when my tummy started rumbling for lunch, I knew for sure I wanted to use up the leftover chicken. I've always enjoyed curried chicken sandwiches and this time I decided to throw in some cherries for a sweet crunch. This was a filling and light lunch, great for hot days when the last thing you want to do is turn on the stove.


Makes 2 sandwiches

1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
1/4 cup diced celery (or cucumber (what I used), bell pepper, whatever you have handy)
1/4 cup diced cherries
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin
2 spoonfuls greek yogurt (this is the secret!)
Salt and pepper to taste
4 slices of bread of your choice
8 thin slices of avocado

In a big bowl, mix the first 7 ingredients together until the spices are well incorporated. Arrange the mixture evenly on two slices of bread. Top with 4 slices of avocado on each slice. Set the last two slices of bread on top, cut in half, and enjoy!

Tip: In general, greek yogurt is an excellent and healthy substitute for mayo. A bit of avocado in moderation makes any sandwich heartier.

No comments:

Post a Comment