Saturday, April 2, 2011

How to cook beets

I used to make fun of people who ate beets. Beets are old people food. They are mushy and weird. Now, I eat beets. Not sure what that says about me :)

I started by adding beets to my salad at the salad bar, after a lifetime of hearing about it's nutritional value. I got accustomed to the taste so one day at the farmer's market I decided to buy fresh beets. Usually three stalks come together. I got home and scratched my head, perplexed at how to cook them. Thankfully, we live in the Google age and so I read several tips online, and here is the finished "Caroline-ized" recipe:

3 stalks beets
water

(that's it! really!)

1. Slice the stalks off, saving the leafy greens for a nice stir-fry or addition to soup. Wash the beets, but do not peel. Cut in half and put in a oven safe dish. Add water until the line reaches 1/4 of the beets.

2. Bake at 400 degrees for 60 minutes, until they are soft and pliable. Let cool. At this point, the skin will come off easily, and I just use my hands to pry the skin off. Warning: your fingers will be stained pink.

At this point, the beets are ready to eat. I usually eat them au natural. I love the nutty, fresh, sweet flavor and it's super easy to prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment